Welcome to the Maths page.
At Highfield mathematics is taught daily. We follow the National Curriculum which was introduced in September 2014, when there were a number of changes.
Some Highlights of the Changes were
- Larger numbers were introduced earlier than previously.
- Times Tables are to be known fully (12x12) by end of Y4.
- Formal written methods for calculations were to be introduced earlier.
- Standard units of measurement were to be introduced earlier.
- Probability left the Primary Curriculum.
- There is a huge focus on fractions.
- Roman numerals are to be taught in Years 3, 4 and 5 (up to M).
- Shape, Space & Measure renamed as ‘Geometry – position and direction’ and ‘Geometry – properties of shapes’, along with ‘Measurement’.
- No separate strand for problem solving.
Please take the time to look at our documents listed below. This will ensure your child's continued learning between school and home.